Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Out of the Mouth of an Angel! (The Temple and my Parents house)


The other day my Mother and Father got a phone call at 1:30am. It was a Rep from the State of Arizona asking to place two children in their home. (My Parents have been licensed for Long-term Foster care and Emergency Foster care for over40 years) The Mother was a drug addict and had been caught with possession of Marijuana and Heroin. The Two children, a 6 year old girl Angel and 4 year old boy Anthony, arrived at my Parent’s house at 4:30am. They only had the clothing on their backs and that did not included shoes. Now many people don’t have these kinds of experiences. However I grew up as a Foster child and after being adopted by my Foster Mother and father continued to be around Foster children. This was a normal thing for us to see. However, thankfully my parents have been doing this for so long that they know how to handle the children with love and care. Most of the time when a child arrives at a foster home they are so scared and confused. It can show in signs of Anger, Violence, Crying, shyness, and sometimes they arrive in a zombie like state. Most have gone though a boggling shuffle of people. The Officer who stays with them until a state representative can pick them up, a Clerk or person while the rep finds a placement home, the Rep who drops them off at the home, Case workers, Social Workers, and then the Foster parents. By this time the Child is so confused or in a state of abandonment it is hard to make them feel safe. My Parents let then sleep near each other to help them feel safe. As soon as it was light outside my parents went to get them clothing and shoes. Anthony who I believe has been mothered by the 6 year old Angel seemed happy. Nothing was out of place for him. Other then the weirdness of a different house he seemed fine. But Angel seemed to act so much older than her age. She did not seem like a child. Anthony looked to her as his mother figure.

While shopping, we found out that Anthony loved Spiderman. When people asked him what his name was he told them “My name is Spiderman, but my nick name is Anthony.” What a cute little guy! Angel was still very cautious and quite. We did see a light in her eye when we went looking for a dress for Church on Sunday. Our whole family made trips to get the two of them things they needed. Can I just say how much I love my family for their willingness to give to others in need. Even the Starving college students in our family gave. I love you guys!
Angel and Spiderman (Anthony) had a hard night the first night. Apparently, their mother had mad them sit in the room with her as she watched scary movies. The Mother talked a lot of ghost when she was high on drugs. So my parents left the light on, and open all the closet doors and bed room doors so they could see there were no monsters or ghost. Angel patted Anthony’s back until he fell asleep. And after a while she fell asleep. Then next day she started to act different. You could tell that even though she may not be sure about the people around her, she knew she was safe in this house she was in. She was talking to my twin Ginny about it. She said she was sad. She liked this house and she felt safe but she was sad because it was not hers. She asked my sister if she would ever have a house like this of her own? And what do you tell her at that point. Ginny and I have seen the system fail so many times. Ginny and I were one of the lucky ones. We found our happy ending at the age of 12 when our parents were finally able to adopt us and have us sealed to them. All Ginny could tell her was “I hope so.” Angel then said she hoped it was a home safe like this one.

Later that same day some friends in my Parents Ward were going to the Temple to get seal to each other. So I met my Parents down at the Arizona LDS Temple and of course I brought my camera to take pictures of Angel and Anthony. This way if they stay we can have some pictures to put up of them and pictures to send to their Mother. Of course if they don’t stay then we have pictures to keep and remember them by. So while walking around the Temple we took pictures of them both while trying to stay out of the way of the Brides and Grooms that were around the Temple snapping their own photos. While walking passed one of the Brides with her Groom Anthony said “Look it’s a Princess” Then groom, who was drinking a bottle of water, almost spit out his drink while trying to hold in his chuckle. The Bride blushed and beamed at the comment. After we passed Anthony asked “Why is the Princess here?” With out skipping a beat Angel told him “Duh, to get married in the Castle” while she pointed to the Temple. As I smiled at her for that comment it happened… She smiled and it was like seeing a flower open. I saw the little girl she was supposed to be... The little girl that felt safe. After my Friends came out I started taking pictures and at first I could not get all the shot I wanted due to Angel Clinging to my leg. I did not want her to push her away. It was the first time she had opened up and who knew how long it would be before she clamed up again. Normally Children in foster care will open up for moments and close themselves back up. And they will continue to open and close themselves to you until they know your safe and you’re not going to leave. The Older the child is the longer it will take.

But I know that my parents have help hundred of children feel safe. And the way they do this is having the Spirit of God in their home and around their lives. I know that when I go to the Temple grounds I feel safe. How often do we as members hear from non members that they love the feeling of LDS member’s homes? I have a firm testimony that Children are highly sensitive to feeling the Spirit of the Lord. It is because they are so innocent. I know that we as members have to live worthy to have that spirit in our homes. The Same Spirit that we feel on the Temple Grounds. We have to do this for our sakes, for the sake of our family, and for the sake of the lost sheep that the Lord will send to you. I pray that when others come to my home that they feel the Lord spirit as my little Angel did. And I pray they feel safe and welcomed for as long as the Lord blesses me with their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment